Monday, January 28, 2013

Ready for spring!!

This cold weather sure has me looking for the first sign of crocuses.  It is very difficult to manage my barn chores and a 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old at the same time. I often find myself asking..."so what exactly am I supposed to do with the kids when I have to go to the barn and it's 15 degrees?" To that, I have no real answer.  I think I just wing it most days. Sometimes I put them in the car and drive back and give them a snack to occupy them while I run from stall to stall filling buckets of water spilling half of it down my leg all while peeking out the door to see that my car has not rolled down the driveway.  Other days I manage to go out when the youngest is sleeping and the older one is watching a movie, realizing this is not really the ideal situation either but I do what I can.?.?  I can forsee me having conversations with the kids when they're much older asking about their childhood and the farm they grew up on and I can completely see myself saying, "I have absolutely no idea how we did what we did...and I am sure glad we lived through it!"  There is no science to this lifestyle, that's for sure. One thing I can say is that my animals have become very versatile to a schedule...they have become quite adaptable but when they see me they sure are happy I managed to squeeze out the time they need. So today the water was not frozen and I think I did a happy dance. No, really...a few degrees makes all the difference in my life and boy I can't wait until it stays warm.  I don't want to seem like I am complaining because God has his plans and I am not in a position to complain or question it but just looking ahead I suppose.  In the meantime, we got through today, animals fed, kids fed and it's a good day. Let's see how tomorrow goes!
Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment